Monday, May 18, 2015

Why Everyone Hates The iPhone Typo Keyboard


I've used several Android devices even since the reign of smartphones. Heck, I even have a Nexus 5 right now as my back up phone. Wonderful as Android may be, iPhones have a place in my heart. I had the 3GS and 4 before.

Now, I have the iPhone 5S.

The thing is, because I've used Android devices which tend to be on the big side, using the iPhone's keyboard is a bitch. Yeah, you heard me. That thing is a bitch to type on.

A company named Typo released a keyboard case for the iPhone 5/5S and unlike other keyboard cases, this is a vertical case. The design resembles the Blackberry keyboard a lot. No wonder Blackberry sued Typo.


Now the keyboard has been reviewed by a lot of people and there's a lot of hate surrounding the keyboard. As someone who uses the keyboard, I think I have an idea why people give this keyboard a bad rep.

You see the thing is, yes it resembles the keyboard of a Blackberry. But I think people have forgotten that as much as it resembles the Blackberry keyboard, the Typo keyboard is no Blackberry.

The only thing it got from Blackberry is the design. That's all. If you take the thing apart, you'll notice that the keyboard itself is only a few cm thin and locked to the case. No special mechanisms whatsoever.


Do not expect the Blackberry experience on this keyboard. You will not get it. You will not get the same clicky responsive keys. You will not get the premium build of Blackberry keys.

What you're getting is no different from those generic slide-up bluetooth keyboards from Amazon. Except this one has the keyboard at the bottom and the keys look pretty.


Personally, I love this case. My only complaint is that there are some keys that need to be pressed harder than others. The keys are also spaced a bit too close to one another for my liking. Because of that, there are instances when I press the wrong key.


I also like that it gives the iPhone some heft. It feels good in the hand because I find the iPhone 5S to be very light.

I might end up buying a new phone soon. Im choosing between an iPhone 6 or one of those Samsung Galaxy phones. I'll figure it out soon.

So to everyone who aren't sure whether they should get this keyboard, I would like to say don't knock it until you've tried it. Know what you're getting yourself into.

Besides, if you really want the Blackberry keyboard experience... buy a Blackberry. They could use some sales haha.

No comments: